Friday, May 18, 2007

Shifting Gears

Beginning Monday, I am going to shift the direction of Strike ‘Em Out, Throw ‘Em Out from a national sports blog to a Concentrated Colorado sports blog.

Not that I don’t and won’t follow the national scene, but I think the Rocky Mountain region needs a good voice, and I will hope to provide it.

The format is going to stay the same, but the frequency is going to change a little bit from a daily blog to a thrice-weekly blog. I am going to try and stick with a Monday, Wednesday, Friday format, but there could be intermittent posts on other days if, say, the Broncos play on MNF.

I think what I can bring to the table is an informed perspective of the area sports scene that is not so disillusioned by having grown up in the shadows of the Rockies during my formidable years. Having moved here 7-years ago I have become a fan of the local teams and seen what they are about through clear eyes. Before moving here my teams were the Ohio State Buckeyes (hometown team), St Louis Cardinals (mom’s hometown team), Tennessee Titans (because of Eddie George), and Mizzou Tigers (alma mater).

In order of adoption I started in with the Nuggets right away, and man were they bad. Juwan Howard and crew had winning totals in the low teens. The Nene-Skita draft was the first I really followed and was psyched about. I then latched onto the Rockies, and have since found myself watching more Rockies games that Cardinals games on the tube. Finally when the Broncos dumped their Wolverine QB, I was able to follow the Broncos. The Buckeye in me would not allow me to root for a team with a Wolverine under center, and when he left and Plummer came on (loser to Ohio State in the 1996 Rose Bowl) I could follow that team.

So I am going to try and stay on course with the Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies and the area colleges. I may touch upon the Avs, but my hockey knowledge has dwindled since Brett Hull and Adam Oates left the formidable Hull & Oates line in St Louis.

Also, I am going to change the Capps-O-Meter to the Corpas-O-Meter as Manny Corpas has 10 Holds and has as good of a shot at breaking the “unbreakable” Holds record as Capps.

That is the big news. Look for the first local post on Monday. The topic of discussion will be the Rockies-Royals series. In this battle of bottom dwellers, the loser get Greg Oden, winner gets Kevin Durant.

If you are looking for national sports news, check out Dan Shanoff’s blog.

- SEO, TEO

No comments: