Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Rockies Road Trip

Unintentionally I ended up at AT&T Park in San Francisco on Sunday to watch the Rockies take on the Giants. Well, I was there intentionally, but the fact that my home team was there was a pure luck.

When it came to the game, I got everything I could have asked for: runs, Bonds HR and a Rockies extra inning victory. It was almost as if I had written the script for the game.

It was truly an exhilarating experience seeing Bonds take Bucholtz yard. For as much as I hate him, and everything he has done to get in the position he is at, seeing him homer into single digits of Aaron was a sight. Even after the dinger, the Rockies were still leading, so I didn’t mind standing with the crowd and watching Bonds makes his 746th trot around the bases. I didn’t clap or cheer, but seeing a monumental event like that was a great experience for any fan.

As for the game…. I was there with my less-than-baseball-knowledgeable fiance’. I will give her credit that she deserves. I did teach her how to score a ball game and she embraced the challenge. Midway through the game, though, she was overcome by the brisk San Francisco air and handed the scorebook my way to finish out the game. But for it being probably her 5th game ever (4 of which have been with me in the past 2 baseball seasons) I was proud.

The Giants tied the game up in the bottom of the 9th and sent the game to extra innings. The Rockies had their 4, 5 and 6 hitters up in the top of the 10th, so all was good on the Rockies front.

The finace’ and I moved down to the 3rd row for the extra frame and got to see a great display.

Leading off, Todd Helton roped a single to the outfield. He was then replaced by Kaz Matsui, who got to second on a passed ball. Garret Akins then hit, arguably, his hardest shot of the year, only to be caught at the wall by Giants CF Randy Winn. For some unapparent reason, though, Kaz didn’t tag up and returned to second, bringing up Mr ClutchORADO himself, Troy Tulowitski.

I learned over to the fiance’ and whispered about Troy clutch hitting in the past and he didn’t make me sound like an amateur, roping an RBI single and advancing to second on the throw home.

After a Chris Ianetta RBI double and a 1-2-Bonds Walk-4 inning by Fuentes, the Rockies flew back home with the franchise’s first sweep in SF.

All said and done, Bonds going yard, Tulo getting the GWRBI and the Rockies sweeping the Giants made the game a truly unbelievable experience that I shall cherish for a lifetime.

- SEO, TEO

No comments: